Assessment is an integral part of instruction, as it determines whether or not the goals of education are being met.
Assessment affects decisions about grades, placement, advancement, instructional needs, curriculum, and, in some cases, funding.
Assessment inspire us to ask these hard questions: "Are we teaching what we think we are teaching?" "Are students learning what they are supposed to be learning?" "Is there a way to teach the subject better, thereby promoting better learning?"
- All 3-8th grade students participate in a statewide assessment. The ACT Aspire has been given to these grade levels since the 2013-2014 school year. This school year, the School Board for the state of Alabama has voted to give the Performance Series assessment from Scantron. This assessment will be given once in the fall, once in the winter, and once again in the spring. The window for these tests are listed below, each school schedules testing individually.
- 11th grade students will have the opportunity to take the PSAT in October
In Escambia County:
As a district, Escambia County Schools will administer benchmark assessments through Chalkable Study Center, a PowerSchool online assessment tool, three times in the school year for high school students. These assessments will provide valuable data to teachers and administrators to monitor classroom instruction, student progress, and student achievement.
Study Center Assessment Windows:
Benchmark 1 (grades 2, 9-11): August 21- September 1
Formative (grades 2, 9-11): January 22- February 2
Final Assessment (grades 1 & 2, 9 & 10): April 30 - May 11
Escambia County Assessment Dates 2017-18 School Year**
- System Benchmark Assessment 1* Window (grades 9-11): August 21- September 1
- Scantron Window (grades 3-8): August 1 - November 10
- PSAT (grade 11, Optional): October 11 (Alternate October 25)
- System Formative Assessment 2* Window (grades 2 and 9-11): January 22- February 2
- Workkeys Online: February 12-16, Makeups 19-20
- Workkeys Paper: February 21
- Workkeys Paper Accommodated Testing Window: February 21- March 7
- Workkeys Paper Make-Up: March 7
- ACCESS 2.0: March 19- March 23
- AAA Window: March 5 - April 13
- The ACT with Writing: March 20
- The ACT with Writing Accommodated Testing Window: March 20-26
- Scantron Window (Accountability grades 3-8): April 9 - May 4
- The ACT with Writing Make-Up: May 8
- System Benchmark Assessment 3* Window (grades 1,2, 9 & 10): April 30 - May 11
5th and 7th grades will take a Comprehensive Science assessment through Scantron Performance Series.
*Study Center/Chalkable assessment
**Dates and information subject to change, page will be updated as needed
More information about state mandated assessments and the Alabama Student Assessment Program can be found in the "Links" section of this department.
Also available in the "Document Uploads" of this department are testing schedules for all Escambia County Schools.